by Glenna A. Satalich
Welcome to the Human Interface Technology Laboratory (HITLab). For the next 60 to 90 minutes you will be participating in a research study examining what is the most effective manner to expose someone to a new environment. For this study you will be exploring a mythical building in Virtual Reality (VR). The building is U shaped and measures 100 feet by 100 feet. The following is a timeline of what you will be asked to do.
1. For the first 15 minutes you will be asked to take a test that examines spatial ability. The test will not determine whether you continue for the rest of the study.
2. (Subjects who received a Map Before Going into the Environment) You will be given a map of the virtual building to study for 5 minutes.
3. You will then be taken to the entrance of the building. (Free Exportation) For the next half hour you will be free to explore the building in any manner you choose. (Active Guided) For the next half hour you will be able to explore the building by following the path laid out for you. You will start by following the green line at the entrance door. It is very important that you follow this path. If the path does not go into a room please do not enter that room. You are free to look in the doorways though. (Passive Guided) For the next half hour you will be guided through the building. This will be similar to being a passenger in a car but with some differences. When you are moving around a corner you will need to turn you head to the new direction. You are free to look in any direction you want but you will be moving forward at all times. (Self-Explore and Active Guided) You will not be able to go through the walls but the objects you see, you will be able to. It is not encouraged that you go through the objects, but you have the ability to. (Map During Subjects) You will notice a map of the world in the lower right corner. There is a red marker on the map that will show your position in the building at all times. (All Subjects) The time will be given to you in 5 minute increments. After a half hour the exploration segment of this study will end.
4. You will be asked to do some tasks in the virtual building, (Directional Pointing Task) then you will be taken out.
5. A questionnaire will then be given to you for you to answer (Distance Estimation Tasks).
6. Following the questionnaire you will be asked to go back into the virtual building and do some additional tasks (Wayfinding Tasks).
7. If being in the virtual environment affects you negatively, close your eyes and the headset will be removed. If you have any questions, please ask them before you go into the virtual environment or after you have come out. You are free to make any comments you want during the exploration period. Thank you for your participation.